Saturday, February 6, 2010

Euphoria Loves RAWvolution

Years ago I lived in Australia. I started changing my Standard American diet into something more beautiful - first by using Macrobiotics and then by incorporating more RAW food.

As I moved through life I found out I had Celiac Disease and dairy intolerance - coupled with egg sensitivity it was really time for me to change...

Now, a husband, house, garden and two children later I've started getting my diet back in order. Let me start by saying I don't use the term "diet" to by synonymous with weight loss - I don't need to lose weight - I mean - what and when I eat.

This RAW adventure started with a cooking class from Angelena Bosco - which was amazing (not to mention so nice to have somebody else cook for me). Continuing on...every time I was in Jimbo's buying groceries I picked up some RAW collard wraps or some RAW pizza - I just love all of the flavors combining like a symphony in my mouth!

So right now I can competently cook and serve Macrobiotics - but RAW is a completely different story. I'm no expert in this area so I decided to go to the experts and do some taste testing...

I've now had two weeks of "the box" form Euphoria loves RAWvolution. I can't go to their cafe so I've decided to order from them. This first entry is a review of the foods from my first two weeks.

My rating system:
Excellent: so delicious everybody wanted more
Good: good taste and texture
Average: edible, but an acquired taste
Poor: wrong ingredients, too strong, "off" taste

First week:
Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato, coconut water, celery, basil, lemon juice, tamari, olive oil, garlic, onion, sea salt.
Poor. Tomatoes are not in season during the winter - although we can grow them in hothouses and even outdoors - they are mealy - this was reflected in this too mealy too garlicy soup.

Thai Curry Soup
Coconut Water, basil, mint, cilantro, chives, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, lemon juice, tamari, olive oil, curry powder, ginger.
Good. This was a good lunch - I warmed it on the stove but not over 110 degrees - it was nice and fresh tasting - good balance

Cucumber Dill Salad
Cucumbers, onions, dill, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt.
Good. Another excellent lunch- I even put some on my husband's lamb sandwich - he liked it...

Mock Tuna Salad
Sunflower seeds, celery, onion, cashews, coconut water, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, dill, dulse, sea salt.
Good. I had a spoonful, then used it as dip, then I put this on some of my homemade gluten free bread (not RAW I know - but the point is to incorporate more into my diet).

Big Matt with Cheese
Flax seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, lettuce, onion, tomato, celery, parsley, olive oil, mustard, pickles, rosemary, cumin, garlic, tamari, lemon juice.
Good. This could be great if there was more of a "burger" instead of walnut spread...But the flavors were great - plenty of veggies and their "matt bread" is truly yummy.

Nut Loaf with BBQ Sauce
Flax seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, onion, celery, tomato, parsley, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, rosemary, cumin, garlic, tamari, chili powder.
Good. The loaf was great, nice texture, could have added some sea vegetable - it was filling enough for breakfast. The sauce was indistinguishable - needed something to make it more tangy-sweet (recommendations to come later).

Pizza Italiano
Collard green, onion, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, tamari, olive oil, tomato, lemon juice sea salt, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano, basil, olives.
Excellent. Although it sort of fell apart as I ate it - the taste was amazing - love the taste of fresh pizza coming together in my mouth without cheese and grease.

Nut & Veggie Pate Wrap
Collard green, flax seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, onion, celery, parsley, avocado, clover sprouts, dulse, tomato, onion, olives, basil, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, tamari, rosemary, cumin.
Excellent. collard wraps are my favorite - they are so perfect for holding a myriad of ingredients and don't over-power the combinations.


Pecan Crumble

Pecans, almonds, raisins, coconut water.

Poor. Too liquid. Used it was a dip for apples - the kids weren't impressed - I'd use soaked dates, keep the raisins whole, and a combo of soaked pecans and raw.

Chocolate Coconut Haysatacks

Coconut, coconut oil, agave nectar, cacao.

Excellent. So delicious everybody wanted more. Of course, cacao is a hit at our house.


Second week:
Hearty Lentil Chili
Tomato, celery, dulse, cucumber, chili powder, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, tamari, cilantro, cumin.
Good. I had this for breakfast this morning. It IS hearty - enough for two - dulse makes it so. Again a little mealy due to the tomato - but much better than the tomato-basil soup.

No-Bean Hummus
Zucchini, tahini, sesame seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, sea salt.
Good. Makes a good dip for veggies - nice to use in sushi rolls with avocado and ume plum.

Mediterranean Tabouli
Parsley, onion, hemp seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt.
Good. I missed Tabouli since typically it calls for couscous. This was a close second - although - I think I'd use some nuts for more texture and possibly cilantro to kick it up a bit.

Mock Chicken Salad
Sunflower seeds, celery, onion, cashews, coconut water, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, sage, oregano, thyme, sea salt.
Average. the mock tuna is way better...this was sort of "off" but edible. Maybe no coconut water?

Broccolini Salad
Broccoli, olive oil, sea salt.

Excellent. Even the kids and husband ate this one - the ingredients say it all.


Soft Tacos with Salsa Fresca

Collard green, walnuts, lettuce, tomato, cilantro, onion, lemon juice, olive oil, tamari, garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder, sea salt.

Excellent. Even the toddler liked this one - again - the collard green wrap wins again.


Marinated Shiitake Sandwich
Shiitake mushroom, lettuce, tomato, onion, clover sprouts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, olive oil, tamari, mustard.
Good. Nice taste - fell apart a little with the "matt" - but I'm not the biggest mushroom fan - shiitakes are my fave though.

Spinach & Cheese Quiche
Cashews, spinach, onion, bell pepper, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice, tamari, olive oil.
Good. Had this one for breakfast Thursday. Too much garlic kids! But still tasty. The "matt" fell apart so I put the entire thing in a bowl...

Greek Pizza
Collard green, onion, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, tamari, olive oil, tomato, lemon juice sea salt, garlic, oregano, bell pepper, olives.
Good. Again, funky tomato and too much onion - but it did taste like Greek pizza.

Strawberry Cream Parfait
Strawberries, almonds, cashews, coconut water, agave nectar.
Good. The sitter liked it, toddler liked it, 5 year old - not so much - I ate it for breakfast and thought - wait - it is the start of strawberry season - if I made this fresh in the end of March it would be excellent.

Chocolate Coconut Fudge
Walnuts, coconut, cacao, agave nectar.

Excellent. This was the best thing so far.


Stay tuned.



1 comment:

allison burgueno said...

apparently I got the second week free because they goofed!